“Profiles, Pedigrees, and Proficiencies: Factors and Forces Influencing the Trajectories of African American Women Postsecondary Presidents”
1. Leadership skills are transferable – the best leaders come from unlikely places
2. No one way to the college presidency (trajectory)
3. Race is a blessing and a curse
4. Daddy’s girls
5. I told you to beat ‘em by a mile – the notion of African American women having to work twice as hard can discourage some. Do not let that be a deterrent – in the end you will be over prepared.
6. I am who I am – Be true to you (community taboos)
7. There is a growing concern around the state of the Black male – it is equally important to encourage female students and leaders
Thank you to all those who came and to those who wanted to come, but couldn’t.
Photo Credit: Leshell Hatley, HU ADVANCE-IT Program Manager