HU ADVANCE-IT’s ‘Follow the Leader’ Award will be granted for a time period during the Spring 2015 semester to qualified individuals in the Natural Sciences in the College of Arts and Sciences, Engineering and Computer Science in the College of Engineering, Architecture and Computer Science and the Basic Sciences in the College of Medicine. Each awardee has the opportunity to ‘shadow’ a leader of her choosing, for the proposed duration throughout the Spring 2015 semester. This shadowing effort should follow the progress of a project submitted within the application. The applicant should collaborate with the proposed leader in selecting and designing the project. The project is the foundation of the award and will be used to gauge award outcomes and overall impact. This program is designed for faculty advancement and development of HU Women STEM Faculty. Proposed Leaders can be in any field, at any local institution, and have any title the applicant deems necessary for her advancement. Multiple awards will be given.
- Applicant must be a member of HU Women STEM Faculty.
- Applicant must be Tenured or Tenure-Track Faculty.
AWARDEE EXPECTATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Awardees must attend HU ADVANCE-IT Events throughout time period of Award.
- Awardees must submit interim and ‘End of Award’ Reports (Report format will be provided).
- HU ADVANCE-IT’s Media Team will interview Awardees and Leaders. These interviews will be recorded (audio, video, and/or still photo) for HU ADVANCE-IT and NSF archives.
- Awardees and their Leaders are expected to evaluate the program to inform future iterations.
You may organize your ‘Follow the Leader’ application however you see fit. However, please ensure that the following three (3) elements are included:
- Applicant Information
- Proposed Leader Information
- Proposed Project (which serves as the foundation for the award)
Detailed checklists for these elements follow.
Element One: Applicant Information
- Number of Years as Faculty Member
- Number of Years in Current Rank
- Letter of Support from Department Chair
Element Two: Proposed Leader Information
- Location (Address)
- Why are you interested in ‘following’ (shadowing) this Leader?
- Letter of Support from Proposed Leader
Element Three: Project Information
- Project Title
- Project Goal(s)
- Proposed length of time
- Proposed start date
- Proposed end date
- Expected Outcome(s)
- Expected Impact
- What type of support is needed, if any (local travel, lab/research support)?
- Budget (Howard University Template) [NOTE: Overall budget should not exceed $2,000.00]
- Budget Justification
NOTE: Application budgets must adhere to the policies of Howard University Research Administrative Services (RAS), University Human Relations, and the National Science Foundation. Howard University Budget Template can be downloaded from: http://www.howard.edu/research/content/doc/ospra/BudgetTemplate.xls
Applicants are strongly encouraged to talk with a member of the HU ADVANCE-IT Leadership before submitting an application. If the application involves collecting data from human subjects, IRB protocols must be submitted to with the application.
HU ADVANCE-IT ‘Follow the Leader’ applications will be evaluated for funding along seven measures: feasibility (reasonable time frame, etc.), significance of expected outcomes, impact, budget, budget justification, clarity, and organization. Every member of the HU ADVANCE-IT Leadership Team will assign an overall score to each application. The tally of these scores provides a quantitative snapshot for acceptance.
*Submission Instructions & Deadline*
All elements of your application should be submitted in one .pdf document (Suggested filename: ApplicantName_FollowLeader_DateofSubmission.pdf) and be sent to email@example.com by 5pm on January 5, 2015.
Please contact Leshell Hatley, HU ADVANCE-IT Program Manager, with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.238.2448. Feel free to also come by the HU ADVANCE-IT office, Howard Center Room 531.